Thursday, 22 January 2015

Only Skin


The first 'real' embroidery I ever did was just the words 'only skin', a reference to the Joanna Newsom song of the same title. So it's appropriate that I return to the song every few years as my technique improves. Or...I just think about that song a lot. I find it very inspiring; like most Joanna Newsom songs the lyrics are incredibly poetic and they lend themselves to artistic interpretation. The lyric in particular I was thinking of when I made this was 'scrape your knee, it is only skin', and I represented the skinned knees with tiny pearl beads. I think I really like bead embroidery; I find it relaxing. I need to find more projects to use beads in!

If you've never heard the song, grab a cup of tea and settle in for a listen. You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment