Wednesday, 5 November 2014

High street / Drugstore Skincare for Oily Skin


I have oily skin. Like, my skin is full on crazy hormones, clogged pores, breakouts, makeup sliding off oily. And from what I've seen about 95% of skincare advice is aimed at people with dry or combination skin, and I know that if I followed that advice I'd wake up the next morning with a serious situation on my face! So these are all the things that I use to keep my oily skin under control and relatively break-out free. I'll go through everything in more detail, but first I want to cover something basic and important here right off the bat: you cannot affect your skin with your diet. Drinking lots of water is good for you, and eating too much chocolate isn't the best idea, but all those silly, shaming myths about greasy food are untrue. So I'm not going to touch on anything like that or give you any 'tips' that I'm sure everyone has already heard - all you can really do (without prescriptions) is manage it until your body decides on its own to calm everything down. And keep your chin up: oily skin means your face is protected from dehydration and the fine lines and wrinkles associated with it. My skin's an effort now but hey, when I'm fifty I'll be sitting pretty!
  1. Simple Kind To Skin Facial Cleansing Wipes. This is the only thing I use to take off my makeup most of the time - very occasionally I'll have a bit more eye makeup on and have to use a cotton pad and eye makeup remover, but the rest of the time these are fantastic. They are really effective and don't leave any residue on your face, which is key if you have sensitive skin.
  2. L'Oreal Revitalift Anti-wrinkle and Firming Eye Cream. Sometimes the skin under my eyes can feel quite tender and honestly I'm a bit of a squinter (glasses or contacts! always!) so I like something really nourishing and hydrating. The only problem I have with this is that if any gets in your eyes it does sting, so be careful!
  3. No7 Beautiful Skin Day Cream for Normal / Oily Skin SPF 15. It can be really hard to find a day cream/light moisturiser that doesn't totally break me out, but this one is formulated especially for oilier skin and works fantastically. Also, how luxe does that packaging look?! I love it. I know it may seem counterintuitive to moisturise when you're trying to fight excess oil, but I'll explain in a little bit why it's actually really important.
  4. Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Foaming Face Wash. I swear by this stuff! As you can tell in the picture, I'm almost out of it. I've ordered a similar (but nicer) product from Kiehl's to try out next, but if that doesn't work I'm definitely coming back to this. I use this at night before I go to bed and sometimes when I wake up too; it really makes my face feel so clean and fresh, and gets everything gross off of my skin. 
  5. Bio-Oil. Usually my routine is cleanse my face with the tea tree and witch hazel wash, brush my teeth, and then apply this. I have quite a few acne marks and scars which is partially why I use this, and I'm partially using it to rehydrate my skin after the wash. Like I mentioned earlier, keeping your skin moisturised when you have problems with oil is super important. Stripping it too much and washing it with harsh astringent chemicals all the time can make your skin kind of freak out and overproduce oil to make up for how dry you're making your skin. If you keep your skin moisturised with good oils, like the No7 day cream or Bio-Oil, your skin calms down and doesn't feel the need to produce as much of its own. When I put this on before I go to bed, my skin is noticeably less shiny in the morning. Also, it smells like cinnamon! Amazing.
  6. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Facial Clay. First of all, yes. I know it has the dumbest name ever. But this is one of those cult beauty products that not many people know about but everyone who's tried it swears by it - including me! This isn't an every day product (or high street, whoops), but more of an up to your own discretion facial mask that clears your pores out and makes your face and skin so clean and tingly and amazing feeling. Just read some of the reviews on Amazon to see how much people like it! I use it about once a week and then wash it off in the shower, and don't need to use anything else on my face for the rest of the day.
And that's all my favourite skin care products, all tried and tested on the most finicky and sensitive of faces (mine). If you've ever used any of these, what did you think? Let me know some of your own favourite skincare products, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment