Monday, 21 January 2013

faux fur infatuation


I bought some faux fur a while ago! And now I'm freakin all about faux fur. The bulk of it is going toward a um, circular sort of koala stuffed animal that may already be headed toward the pile of never finished crafting projects. But I had so much left over after cutting my main pieces and that beautiful soft surprisingly-easy-to-work-with fabric was just calling me *____*

Calling me to make the easiest craft project imaginable, that is. May I present to you, my new snood!

ta-dah!
I guess some people don't know what a snood is (because they're not huge nerds) but it's pretty similar to an infinity scarf. In this case it's just a tube of fur around your neck, which, doesn't that sound like the warmest? It is. It is the warmest.

(Does anyone remember the game Snood? I remember playing this on my mom's computer when I was little. So good, being raised on computers is the best.)

Anyway, they're super easy to make, also? If you have a sewing machine it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. What I did here, was:
  1. Cut out my strip of fabric. I made it about 30" long and 24" wide (so it folds over to a 12" high snood in the end). Other people make it longer, but I have a pretty small head. So your mileage may vary!
  2. I then folded it longways (er, hotdog style?) down the middle so two furry sides were facing each other and sewed it into a tube.
  3. Turn that tube inside out, girl. Go wild.
  4. Take the two ends of the tube (and remember, fur should be facing out!) and sew them together so you have a circle. This step is a little tricky? My sewing machine actually couldn't take all four layers of fabric under the foot, so I had to go slow and sew it by hand. But it worked out fine and I'm not even good at sewing!
  5. Turn it inside out again so the seam is on the inside and you're done!
  6. Enjoy the shedding! It's gonna shed.
And of course a picture in action, worn by the Maker Herself:
why am I always wearing this top in pictures like this?
Fun times! Make a snood y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment